Re: F40 proposal: Porting Fedora to Modern C (System-Wide Change proposal)

I frankly love this change. For along time I wanted a way to catch such
extensions and non stadard behaviour. For the long term, we could
create 3 macros, legacy for old unmainatined code (the -std=c89),
standard which will be the result of this porting and a future one with
some bonus flags.

standard is the default and the other 2 are opt in.

We need to encourage upstreams to stop using UBs and extension when it
makes sense (They for example break when defaults change like this and
certain UBs can also prevent putting -O3 and can cause security
issues). So I recommend -fsanitize-trap=all to be in future for now (I
would like putting -Werror but thats probaly going be too much).

Good to see Gentoo also helping out. We should talk to some of the big
upstreams to put these flags in their CIs. That way we will less issues
down the line.

Thanks & Regards
Marc Pervaz Boocha