Re: Packaging a cross-compilation environment (wasi-libc)

Hi Jun,

"Jun Aruga (he / him)" <jaruga@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Do you have a plan to create the RPM package for wasi-sdk[1]?

Not really, since we already (almost) have it available :)

The wasi-sdk consists of llvm toolchain (clang & friends) compiled so
that it can emit WASM code, and the wasi-libc, which implements standard
C library atop WebAssembly System Interface "syscalls".

Fedora's clang is already capable of emitting wasm
(`clang --target=wasm32-wasi -nostdlib …` works), so I see no need to
package it again. The thing we are missing is the wasi-libc,
which I aimed to package.

In other words, packaging wasi-sdk seems redundant to me
– you would have to maintain separate version of clang,
while the Fedora one is already able to compile what you need.
We still need the C lib.

Unfortunately, recent NodeJS releases had me occupied pretty much entirely,
so I was unable to work on this.
I hope I can get back to it this week. Fingers crossed.

> But I
> feel it takes more than 60 minutes, and is still in progress.
> I wonder how other program languages supporting WebAssembly manage
> this situation.

Yeah, building entire compiler toolchain takes a while :)

I had a COPR of the WIP wasi-sdk, but I set it to expire automatically,
so it is currently not available. I'll try to spin in back up today
and send you a link, in case you want to start testing the Ruby stuff
with it already.

Have a nice day!
--
Jan Staněk