Re: Packaging a cross-compilation environment (wasi-libc)

On 8/22/22 5:35 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Jan Staněk:
>
>> Hi list,
>> in order to be able to compile WASM natively on Fedora,
>> I'm trying to package wasi-libc[1] to provide the Web Assembly System
>> Interface.
>>
>> [1]: https://github.com/WebAssembly/wasi-libc
>>
>> My trouble is that this is in essence a cross-compilation environment,
>> and I have zero experience in trying to package these.
>> Also, I did not have much luck in trying to find any related
>> documentation.
>
> Cc:ing Josh because Rust apparently already builds wasi-libc.
>
> I doubt that right now, one static build of wasi-libc will be able to
> support both the Rust use cases and the NodeJS use case.  The versions
> will likely be different, and the WASI interfaces are still evolving.
> So if you package this separately, you probably should use paths with
> “nodejs” in the name.

It might be fine to share this, as long as you are not patching upstream
wasi-libc in some weird way. Rust's use is pretty minimal from vanilla
sources, and mostly only updated when we need compatibility to build
with a new Clang, in wasi-libc's Makefile "check-symbols" target.