Re: F39 proposal: Replace DNF with DNF5 (System-Wide Change proposal)

Thank you for pointing this. Why DNF5 is not named as DNF and why we do not plan to name it as DNF?
DNF5 is a completely new product. It replaces dnf and microdnf. DNF5 doe's the same type of work like dnf, microdnf but behavior, internals, and plugins differents. If we will name DNF as DNF5 we will create a confusion for users. From our point of view it is much better to say that DNF5 is a new product with compatibility to DNF than it is enhanced DNF.
It is quite the same what happened with replacement of yum by DNF. In some distribution DNF was shipped as YUM in version 4 and it created a lot of confusions.
On the other side we want to use DNF trademark, because it inherits a lot but still DNF5 is not the same as DNF.
With the naming of out stack we have a lot of restriction and I will try to mention some of them:
 * DNF5 cannot be named as DNF because there is requirement of parallel installability in Fedora 38.
 * Python import of DNF5 cannot be shipped as DNF because we need to support parallel installability of Python bindings of DNF and DNF5 (same for libdnf and libdnf5 python pindings).
 * Naming unification of DNF5 stack - it will be quite strange to name something dnf that cannot provide dnf and so on.

Jaroslav