Re: [INPUT REQUESTED] Re: F38 proposal: Node.js Repackaging (Self-Contained Change proposal)

Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 9:04 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 09, 2022 at 10:58:58PM +0200, Dan Čermák wrote:
> > > There's another potential upgrade issue: We have multiple choices of
> > > how to upgrade from the nodejs package to the nodejsXX packages:
> > > 1) Upgrading from either F36 or F37 will result in you getting Node.js
> > > 18. (This method is closest to how things worked prior to this Change,
> > > where the nodejs package would just get updated to the latest stable
> > > release)

(snip)

> > My personal preference would be Option 1. Imho it's a bit expected that
> > you might have to do some cleanup after a system upgrade. So moving to
> > the latest stable version sounds like a good overall compromise for most
> > users: you'll get the latest stable version and if you need an older
> > version, you'll (hopefully) figure it out during the post-upgrade
> > cleanup. (And we could implement it without backporting)
>
> +1. It also sounds like this option is easiest on the maintainers.

I agree. I think there's at least general consensus around the idea
that a system upgraded from Fedora X to Fedora X+1 should be as close
as possible as a fresh install of Fedora X+1. The versioned Python
packages already work like that, and it works pretty well in my
experience. Additionally, this works around the problem of "what
happens when users keep upgrading their Fedora install for a few
releases" - otherwise they might get stuck with ancient nodejs
versions. I'd rather not repeat the "OpenJDK 11 -> 17" upgrade
problems, where some of my systems were stuck with OpenJDK 11 instead
of getting upgraded to OpenJDK 17 upon upgrade.

Fabio