Re: rpm pulls in a dependency on perl in a noarch subpackage

V Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 11:56:51AM -0500, Chris Adams napsal(a):
> Once upon a time, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxx> said:

> > > Because it isn't just data files?  /usr/share/xephem/auxil contains two
> > > executable perl scripts.
> >
> > Thanks, I'll try to unset the exec bit on those two scripts.
>
> I think it'd be better to consider the packaging - should those scripts
> be in this subpackage at all?  Do they belong somewhere else, or do they
> even need to be shipped?  If they belong with the data... then it's
> probably correct for the data package to depend on perl.
>
> Don't just try do things to avoid dependencies, understand why it's
> there.

Indeed. /usr/share/xephem/auxil/README reads:

    This directory contains support files that are used by xephem.

If the script is used, unsetting executable bit could break xephem.

I was able to find mpcorb2edb.pl mentioned this documention
/usr/share/xephem/help/xephem.html:

    When the Get
    button is clicked, XEphem downloads the appropriate file, uncompresses
    it, reformats it to .edb format and splits the results into two files
    for convenience. One file will contain all asteroids which can ever
    become brighter than magnitude 13, and the other (with a "_dim" suffix)
    contains all the rest. All files are created in the user's Private
    XEphem directory. The real work is performed by two perl scripts,
    mpcorb2edb.pl and astorb2edb.pl, respectively. These may be run independently
    of XEphem if desired.

And indeed the script name is compiled into /usr/bin/xephem binary.

I guess you should keep the script executable and keep the dependency on
perl.

-- Petr