Re: rpm pulls in a dependency on perl in a noarch subpackage

Once upon a time, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> Il 07/10/22 17:28, Chris Adams ha scritto:
> > Once upon a time, Mattia Verga <mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxx> said:
> >> I don't understand, why RPM automatically adds a dependency on a noarch
> >> subpackage which consists only of data files?
> >>
> >> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=2072456
> >>
> >> Any idea?
> > Because it isn't just data files?  /usr/share/xephem/auxil contains two
> > executable perl scripts.
>
> Thanks, I'll try to unset the exec bit on those two scripts.

I think it'd be better to consider the packaging - should those scripts
be in this subpackage at all?  Do they belong somewhere else, or do they
even need to be shipped?  If they belong with the data... then it's
probably correct for the data package to depend on perl.

Don't just try do things to avoid dependencies, understand why it's
there.
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>