Re: Release criteria proposal: except BitLocker-enabled installs from Windows dual-boot criterion bootloader requirement

On 20-09-2022 07:12, Chris Murphy wrote:

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022, at 2:45 PM, Robbie Harwood wrote:

I'm fine with the proposed change.  I'm also fine with the
original text.

During boot, certain actions are taken that are recorded in the
TPM. These include, for instance, any loaders that are run - like
grub2.  The result is that if you load Windows from grub2 rather
than the EFI firmware, the TPM state will be different.  Bitlocker
cares about this TPM state.

So: if you install Windows and set up Bitlocker booting through
grub, it will continue to work through grub.

The Windows installer drops a payload on the drive, and sets a
bootnext for an entry that points to the Windows bootloader, not via
GRUB.

And then, the instant we update either shim or grub, Windows boot
will break.

Does all this apply as well using sd-boot?

If not, since this is the install phase, switching from grub to sd-boot when installing alongside Windows should be viable.

Having said that, I am aware that sd-boot is currently not as well supported as grub2.

-- Sandro