Re: F38 proposal: Strong crypto settings: phase 3, forewarning 2/2 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 7:35 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How about this:
>
> Drop the term 'jump scare' entirely. IMHO it just sounds bad.

I'm open for proposals on the wording. =)

> Rework the change so it's basically planning on making this change in
> f38.

That makes it closer than currently,
defeating the purpose of letting people prepare.

> Before f38 beta freeze, change owners/fesco looks at the state of things
> and decides if it can remain on in f38 and if not, it gets reverted and
> moved to f39.

Not sure how it's better than reverting in branched f38 but not rawhide,
unless the goal is to hasten the change.

> In the run up to f38 beta we could:
>
> * run a series of test days. perhaps one before you enable it in
> rawhide, one a month or two later and one right before f38 beta
> freeze?

I'm for more test days.
There was one held already and I'm open for holding more in the future.
Plus I should attempt some side-tag mass-rebuild or equivalent,
but I, unfortunately, won't get to it until October at the earliest.

> * see if openqa might have some way to set TEST-FEDORA39 and re-run
> tests on a compose or updates? This might be a good thing to try and do
> before landing it in rawhide.

Sounds great if that's a possibility, but I don't know how to approach it.

> * setup a tracking bug to track the issues, so we can make a more
> informed decision before f38 beta.
>
> Thoughts?

If the core of your proposal is
* make it happen in f38 and revert and push back to f39 only if necessary
as opposed to
* make it happen in f38 rawhide, f39 rawhide, f39 branched and released,
  but not f38 branched (the current proposal)
then I can't say I understand what you are trying to achieve with that.
IMO it makes the switch less certain, more frantic and more abrupt,
while I was trying to smoothen it out in time as far as possible.

So +1 on all the accompanying activities possible,
-1 on expediting the switch.