Re: No more right click terminal

Colin Walters wrote:

Completely, totally disagree.  Every time a non-developer/non-sysadmin
has to use the terminal for something is a bug.
   If that's the case,  you've got a lot of bugs to fix.

I've been burnt so many times by bugs in Red Hat's GUI stuff that I just don't have time to waste with it. I think of the guy (in a message last week on this list) who had NetworkManager blow out his resolv.conf settings... Every time I hit "Ok" on one of those screens, I'm afraid that it's going to lead to a disaster that's "Not Ok".

All the time I see friends struggling to figure out how to do something in the GUI, and I have them open up a command line and get the job quickly, and correctly the first time, even coaching them over the phone -- /etc/sysconfig is a Red Hat introduction that I like a great deal -- a little bit of time spent learning how to navigate there means you can configure RH machines easily, X Windows or not.

Maybe it's better now than it used to be, but I'm set in my ways. If RH manages to ship GUI tools that work 99.99% of the time rather than 80% of the time, maybe a new generation of people will start using them.