Re: Joining Fedora Chat from own Homeserver

On 9/12/22 06:44, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
That unfortunately seems typical -- I'm joining the space from a
different server too (Element One, ironically*also*  hosted by EMS).
Joining from a different homeserver seems to be a bit unreliable no
matter which two servers are involved, especially for larger rooms
(getting this issue joining Debian, FOSDEM, and Linux Plumbers rooms
too).

This is an area of active development by the Matrix team; joining *large* rooms (either large numbers of participants, large numbers of messages, or both) is currently slow because it's a synchronous operation. Your client waits for your server, which waits for the complete backfill of the participant list and some amount of the message history.

There are changes coming shortly to make this process asynchronous, which should help significantly. For now, what I've seen is that you attempt to join the room, after 60 seconds or so your client reports a failure, and then 5-10 minutes later you attempt to join again and it works; I believe this is happening because the backfill process continues on your server even though your client gave up.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
He/Him/His