Re: Inactive packagers to be removed after the F37 release

V Wed, Sep 07, 2022 at 07:51:15AM -0400, Stephen Smoogen napsal(a):
> On Wed, 7 Sept 2022 at 02:53, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> > though
> > >
> > > There are many casual maintainers who maintain one or two packages. We
> > > shouldn't force them to leave Fedora.

> > improved security.
> > >
> > > There are many contributors from countries where $25 is a lot. We
> > > shouldn't set up financial barriers. This is a dead end.
> >
> > I think we kind of have two competing factors here, and it's not much
> > use Camp A saying "FACTOR A IS IMPORTANT!" and Camp B saying "NO FACTOR
> > B IS IMPORTANT!" and that just going round in circles.
> >
> > On the one hand, Fedora is not just a hobby project. It's an important
> > upstream in the F/OSS ecosystem. Very important downstreams like
> > CentOS, RHEL, Amazon Linux and others are built out of it. It's
> > absolutely an attractive target for a supply chain attack. We have an
> > ethical responsibility to the F/OSS community to harden ourselves
> > against such attacks, and FIDO2 auth would be a good way to do that.
> >

> So I think all this focusing on FIDO2 as a requirement is the problem. We
> are looking at least 2-3 years before Fedora Infrastructure could actually
> support it at scale.  This is not just technical support, but needing
> people to actually handle the problems. We have a hard enough handling OTP
> tokens that people put in and then immediately lose so can't log in or
> change their accounts. Dealing with 100 developers who only put one token
> on their system and then promptly lose it after going for a jog etc is
> going to be a nightmare. [I had to support scientists with one time tokens
> before, and it is a constant 'I lost my token and I need to be verified
> that I am who I am. Can I get a new token?' etc.]
>
> So I am going to say I am in agreement with Vitaly that FIDO2 is not a
> solution we could support at this time. At most we could support HOTP via
> yubikey but we would need to be able to make sure
> 1. That we have some sort of '5 codes which can be used in case of
> emergency'. These are printed on a screen and that is it.
> 2. We make sure that people have 2 additional devices attached before OTP
> is 'enabled'.
>
> Otherwise this is going to end in tears even before we tried to get 'FIDO2'
> set up.

Do people lose their tokens more often than forget their passwords?
How do we deal with a forgotten password now
<https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/forgot-password/ask>?
Do we have to strenghten an authenticiation reset with the advent of tokens?

I'm asking because to me it seems that the problem as you painted it is not
about having a token but about resetting authentication credentials.

Shouldn't we instead start with strengthening the credentials reset even for
password-only authentication? I.e. disallowing the reset. Or enabling having
multiple passwords.

-- Petr