Re: Let's enable Koschei for all packages automatically

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 9:53 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> during our Nest FESCo session, we've talked about enabling Koschei [1] for all
> packages automatically.
>
> There seem to be a consensus by FESCo members, that it would be a good thing.
>
> What would it take?
>
> 1) Koji resources
>
> I think we can try to enable this and see if it burns. I think ti won't.

I don't expect Koschei would use much more Koji resources than it already does.

Koschei maintains a priority queue of package rebuilds and submits
scratch builds as available Koji resources allow.
The queue is almost never empty - there are almost always some
packages to rebuild.
An increased number of tracked packages would simply grow the queue,
but would not lead to submitting much more scratch builds.
IOW, packages would simply be rebuilt less often.

To submit more scratch builds we would need larger builder capacity.
This doesn't necessarily mean more or better hardware.
Better Koji configuration would help a lot.
We have some very powerful builders with up to 224 processors, but
their capacity is set to 2.
This means that the builder stops accepting new tasks once load gets
to 2, which is less than 1 %.

Example buildhw-a64-20.iad2.fedoraproject.org
Capacity is 2, check with: koji hostinfo buildhw-a64-20.iad2.fedoraproject.org
224 CPUs, load average: 2.04, 2.07, 2.05
memory: 251Gi total, 7.3Gi used, 242Gi available
Yet, at the time of writing the builder is marked as not ready (!!)
for taking more builds due to exceeded capacity.

This is not an individual case, we have many builders like that.

Making all packages as tracked without increasing Koji builder
capacity will limit Koschei
usefulness for packagers that care about Koschei enough to manually opt-in.

> 2) One-time enablement of all existing packages
>
> That should be doable. Right?
>

> 3) Automatic enablement of all new packages
>
> That should be just a matter of changing the defaults. Correct?

I can implement points 2 and 3 easily, as long as there is consensus to do so.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski