Re: F38 proposal: Minizip renaming (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 05:04:27PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Detailed Description ==
> Upstream has changed the naming of the "minizip" package to
> "minizip-ng" and we should follow their naming so there is no
> confusion about which package is the right one. Upstream has also
> requested to rename the "minizip-compat" zlib subpackage to "minizip"
> which is the right naming for the package.
>
> The "minizip" and "minizip-compat" provides different shared libraries
> which prevent us from conflicting sonames.
>
> The plan behind this change can be put into x steps which will be
> completed separately and in the given order:
>
> ''NOTE: All of the Provides and Obsoletes will be added to the *-devel
> subpackages as well.''
>
> 1) Create a new package "minizip-ng" which will `Provides: minizip =
> %{sameevr}` and `Obsoletes: (minizip < 3.0.2-7 and minizip > 3.0.0-1)`

Hi,

it seems that Obsoletes does not work with boolean dependencies,
so the proposed for would not work. Instead, please use the standard
form described by the Packaging Guidelines:
  Obsoletes: minizip < 3.0.3

(This is assuming that minizip-ng-3.0.3 will be the first version
built in koji. Please note that minizip < 3.0.2-7 does NOT cover version
minizip-3.0.2-7.fc37 currently in rawhide.)

> 2) Rebuild all of the packages that BuildRequire/Require "minizip"
> package to BuildRequire/Require new "minizip-ng" package
>
> 3) Retire the "minizip" package following the
> [https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Package_Retirement_Process/
> Package Retirement Process]
>
> 4) Wait for the Fedora 40 when it's ensured that every user has
> updated at least to the Fedora 38. Remove the `Provides` and
> `Obsoletes` from the "minizip-ng" package

FWIW, I prefer to keep those for a while. We don't officially support
this, but people do upgrades over more than two versions quite often,
and it's nice not to break that.

> 5) Rename the "minizip-compat" to the "minizip" package and add
> `Provides: minizip-compat = %{sameevr}` and `Obsoletes: minizip-compat
> < 1.2.12`

As already mentioned in the original discussion thread, this step is
risky. We generally try to follow upstream naming on packages, but
sometimes it's not possible for various technical reasons. This seems
to be one of those cases, because limitiations of Obsoletes mean that
we can't obsolete a subset of package versions. Minizip-compat is not
intended to be used by anything in the distribution, so it's not a big
deal if the package name is "wrong". Thus, I think it's better to skip
this last step and tell minizip upstream that the we'll keep the
"-compat" name for compatiblity reasons. Maybe add a sentence of
explanation to the package name.

Zbyszek