Re: Adoption of flare package

On 8/24/22 21:44, Otto Liljalaakso wrote:
Sandro kirjoitti 24.8.2022 klo 14.33:
On 23-08-2022 16:00, Sandro wrote:
I am interested in adopting the orphaned flare package[1]. It doesn't
appear to have any complicated requirements. My local build on a recent
git clone succeeded without effort.

Hello Sandro,

Thank you for taking interest in this.

I became aware of the package being orphaned by the announcement sent a
couple of days ago. While flare is being orphaned, flare-engine is not.

So, I guess my next step would be to contact the current maintainer,
Sandipan Roy aka bytehackr, and discuss with him? Both packages rely on
the same source. I guess he would appreciate a heads up. Maybe he took
flare-engine recently and forgot about flare.

I see that Sandipan has adopted both flare-engine and flare now. It
might still be a good idea to contact them. Both packages still have
missing builds for some releases, and it is always good to have more
than one person taking care of a package.

Yes, after I talked to him he became aware of the dependency between the two packages and adopted flare as well.

AFAIK, both packages have been updated to the latest upstream release now and built successfully. They should find their way into the different repos, soon.

As I'm not in the packagers group, yet, I will have to complete the
sponsoring process first. For that I am looking for a sponsor, too.

Regarding the FTBFS bug [3], it looks like the rebuild failed for the
s390x target. Not sure, this is a desired target. Could probably just be
disabled.

You are misinterpreting the situation. It is true that the only failed
architecture is s390x, but the rest have been cancelled, presumably
because that one failed.

If you check build.log attached to Bugzilla, you will the following error:

  > Error: /builddir/build/BUILD/flare-engine-v1.13/redhat-linux-build is
not a directory

Which looks like a certain horrible problem Fedora has been having with
CMake [1]. It has since then been fixed, or at least worked around, so
just issuing a rebuild should get past that.

However, one part of the cause of that problem is the trailing dot in
the end of '%cmake' [2]. It would be good to remove that. Since you are
interested in starting with package maintenance, that could be a good
first pull request for you.

I'll do that. I'm still in the process of getting acquainted. I tried to fork flare and flare-engine earlier, but wasn't able to. Seems like it was a temporary issue. Just tried again and it worked.

Building flare-engine also prints out another (non-fatal) error, you
could also correct that in a pull request, just for practice:

error: %changelog not in descending chronological order

I saw that when linting. Wasn't sure how to handle that. The offending changelog entry has the right date according to git blame. The releases are in the right order. Probably just adjust the date to when that release actually happened and silence rpmlint...

Finally, regarding your proposal to disable building on s390x. It is
understandable that it feels useless, because people do not usually play
games on mainframes. However, generally Fedora tries to build everything
on all architectures. So, always first investigate what is the issue,
only resort to ExcludeArch if the problem is really unsolvable for
certain architecture.

Understood. As things stand now, all architectures are building again. So, no need to exclude s390x.

Hope this helps, and please ask if anything is unclear.

Thank you. Sandipan asked me to get a certain tool packaged. That will be a good exercise as well.

-- Sandro