Re: F37 side tag after branching point

On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 at 04:56, Maxwell G <gotmax@e.email> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 23, 2022 1:16:00 PM CDT Iñaki Ucar wrote:
> > We have a new R version sitting on a side tag (f37-build-side-55653)
> > for a few weeks now, where packages are being rebuilt as time permits.
>
> Can this perhaps be handled differently next time? I admit that I'm not
> familiar with the R ecosystem, so the answer may be no. Side tags are not
> meant to be open for this long. So far, this R rebuild has caused a lot of
> problems (see "The R stack in Rawhide is on fire"). What are the issues that
> prevent the rebuild from happening all at once?

Time and provenpackager hands. The lack of them, to be precise.

> Can it be staged in COPR to
> make sure nothing will break? Can the packages be built all at once with a
> script?

Sure, but this is additional work that, again, requires time. See above.

We are in the process of creating a SIG, a FAS group (already done),
and adding commit access to this group to all the R software, so that
more time and more hands can be invested in the future. But yet again,
this requires time, and people were a bit overloaded already. So it is
what it is for now.

> > Unfortunately, F37 is not rawhide anymore, so the question is whether
> > this side tag could be safely merged both in F37 and rawhide when it
> > is ready.
>
> I'll defer to the releng folks, but I think you should be able to merge the
> sidetag normally through the Bodhi interface, though it will be for f37 and
> not rawhide. You'll have to rebuild everything in rawhide.

We expected that much for F37, we just hoped that the latter could be avoided.

--
Iñaki Úcar