Re: Inactive packagers to be removed after the F37 release

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 10:47 AM P J P <pjp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Interesting numbers there.

(see below on another number)

> * While I get that such pruning from time to time is generally good.
>   What happens to the packages orphaned by removing inactive packagers?
>
> * Removing orphaned packages may not be easy, as other packages may depend on them.

Obviously, if the packages are still desired or needed, an
active packager will need to pick them up.  For a number of
those packages I suspect that they have been running more
or less on successful auto-pilot (mass rebuild) for some
time, so picking them up should not result in substantially
increased workload going forward after the initial take, but
I admit I, myself, do not look forward to having to add to
the list of packages I might need to feel (at least notionally)
responsible for if I end up having to take some of them on
due to dependencies in things I do care about.

I would also say, that while it is probably not entirely easy
to do so, a *very* interesting additional number would
have been how many packages would be orphaned if
all of the identified packagers are removed, just so we
have an order of magnitude of what we are looking at
moving forward.  But that list is probably best produced
at a later time, as, for all we know, many of the people
may indeed still be active (and because their packagers
do run on auto-pilot, do not regularly engage).

These are, of course, probably mostly first run issues.
Once the process is in place and ongoing, the order of
magnitude of the people and packages is likely to be
the usual background noise levels.