Re: Is system upgrade automatic or not?

Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> I don't know of an Operating System which isn't a rolling operating system
> which works this way. MacOS, Windows, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora all require a
> manual clickthru to get to the 'next' version which is available.

For Windows, it really depends on what you mean by the "next version". If
you are thinking in RHEL-like time frames, then the "next version" is
Windows n+1 (e.g., 10 to 11), to which upgrades are not automatic. But
Windows does release major upgrades to every Windows version every 6 months
(which pretty much corresponds to Fedora n+1) and upgrades users to those
more or less automatically. Even fully automatically without the user's
consent at the latest around when the next upgrade comes out (which would
correspond to fully automatic upgrades to Fedora n+1 around when n+2 is
released, which conveniently is when Fedora n is about to reach its EOL).

Now, I think there would be a huge outcry if Fedora did this the Microsoft
way with no way to opt out (I would be one of the first to complain), but
claiming that Windows does not do this is just wrong.

        Kevin Kofler