Re: [HEADS UP] wxPython 4.2.0 in Rawhide

On Tue, 16 Aug 2022, Steven A. Falco wrote:

On 8/16/22 09:29 AM, Steven A. Falco wrote:
On 8/15/22 08:38 PM, Scott Talbert wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2022, Steven A. Falco wrote:

On 8/12/22 11:35 AM, Steven A. Falco wrote:
On 8/12/22 11:00 AM, Scott Talbert wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022, Steven A. Falco wrote:

It turns out that there is a bug in wxPython whereby it installs an error handler that should not be installed by a library [1].  KiCad can work around that by adding a compile flag to disable its own error handler [2]. Credit to Ian for identifying the problem and the work-around.

I've started a new KiCad build [3] in the side-tag.

[1] https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/issues/22717
[2] https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/12217
[3] https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=90710152

The KiCad build in the side-tag completed, and I've tested it on x86_64 and aarch64.  It all looks good, so I am fine with merging the side-tag.

Scott - What will be the process for getting this into F37?  I'm curious as to the timeline so I can handle the changes there.

OK, I went ahead and submitted the bodhi request to merge the side-tag.

On F37, do you have any strong feelings about whether this should or should not go in F37?  If yes, we should probably do a similar side-tag build.

Thanks for allowing us to have input on that, Scott.

I posted a message to the KiCad developers to get their comments, since I would need their support to fix any bugs that might come up.

I'll forward their preferences as soon as I hear from them.

The KiCad developers are in favor of updating to wxPython 4.2.0 in Fedora 37.

Scott - if you agree, please set up a side-tag when convenient.  I'll then make the necessary KiCad changes and run a build in the side-tag.

Done, created side tag f37-build-side-56650 and built wxPython there.

Thanks - I've started a KiCad build [1].  It should be ready later today.

[1] https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=90874286

The KiCad build for F37 is complete in f37-build-side-56650.

Scott - please merge the tag when convenient.  Thanks.

Done - thanks!

Let me know if you run into any issues. I'll cherry-pick the fix for that issue with GLib logging as soon as upstream fixes it, and you can remove the workaround in kicad.

Scott