Re: Important changes to software license information in Fedora packages (SPDX and more!)

On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 4:28 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > I do expect Fedora reviewers to do more than just look at a handful of
> > source files though. For any package review, the header of every source
> > file should checked. Random sampling is not sufficient to identify the
> > exceptions which do occur often, and are not usually mentioned in the
> > top level LICENSE file.  If there's no header present, then it is
> > implicitly under the global license, and it is fine to trust that for
> > the purposes of Fedora license tag.
>
> I wish you good luck opening every single of the 167383 files in QtWebEngine
> (checked with 5.15.8, but that is the order of magnitude for all versions)
> to check the license header, if there is any to begin with. (Some of the
> bundled libraries are of the "let's just drop in one license file that
> applies to everything" kind, and it is named differently in each.)

I'm going to say this outright: it is not reasonable to expect
volunteer packagers to do this. The License tag is not intended to be
exhaustive, merely informative. I would much prefer we continue our
existing practice of simplifying license expressions because it also
reduces the significant burden of the license audit for packagers and
actually keeps us from making *more* mistakes.

If people want more exhaustive licensing data, complain to upstream
instead and have *them* ship licensing documents.

The other option, of course, is that Red Hat chooses to hire people
specifically to supplement packagers and do out-of-band audits and
correct licensing information for the entire package collection. I do
not expect that will happen, though. There is not enough benefit to doing it.

The only positive to doing this would be to stop packagers who use
bundling as a means to avoid properly categorizing and identifying
dependencies from avoiding the license audit part. But I have a
feeling those packagers will continue to do that anyway.