Re: Important changes to software license information in Fedora packages (SPDX and more!)

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 05:51:34PM +0200, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > New guidance on “effective license” analysis
> >
> > Many software packages consist of code with different free and open
> > source licenses. Previous practice often involved “simplification” of
> > the package license field when the packager believed that one license
> > subsumed the other — for example, using just “GPL” when the source code
> > includes parts licensed under a BSD-style license as well. Going
> > forward, packagers and reviewers should not make this kind of analysis,
> > and rather use (for example) “GPL-2.0-or-later AND MIT”. This approach
> > is easier for packagers to apply in a consistent way.
>
> While this may make things easier when there are just two or three licenses
> involved (just list them and move on), in any practical code base where
> there are usually dozens of small pieces of copied&pasted code under various
> subtly-different BSD/MIT-style licenses, this is an incredibly huge amount
> of bureaucracy, and IMHO just not implementable (and I am not alone thinking
> that, see Michael Catanzaro's reply).

In order to perform the simplification that Fedora previously used, it
was neccessary to first know what the full license list was. From that
full list some elements could be eliminated if considered to be subsumed
by another license in the list.

With the new process the need to know the full license list is just
as it was before. The simplication step is just eliminated. This
should be a net win.

Either way reviewers need to determine the full license list of the
source being packaged, unless the inference was that previously
reviewers were taking short cuts, not actually bothering to do
a full license review of the code, and just making assumptions about
the overall simplified license. That would not have been compliant
with our review process though.

With regards,
Daniel