Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux

On Fr, 29.07.22 00:21, Peter Boy (pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > One is not really supposed to have multiple ESPs
>
> I have another question regarding multiple ESPs, maybe a bit
> off-topic. For software raid we currently have a kind of „off-label
> use“. Anaconda puts the ESP on a raid partition (and the /boot
> partition as well) and so the partition is marked as RAID and not as
> ESP. I know, there are several alternatives in development to
> synchronise ESP partitions, but none is included in Anaconda. And
> maybe none of the alternatives is ready for production. How does
> this fit into the plans being discussed here?  It is an important
> issue for Fedora Server.

That's a terrible idea. UEFI file system drivers are
read/write. sd-boot makes use of that even, to implement boot
counting/automatic fallback (which I am sure is stuff you *really*
want in attended systems that shall be able to safely come back when
rebooted).

Given that firmware and uefi programs can and do write through the
official sanctioned UEFI APIs to the ESP using RAID on ESP is a really
bad idea — unless the firmware also implements your flavour of
RAID. But it would be news to me that firmwares exist that support
Linux software RAID natively.

ESP is defined the way it is, you cannot reinvent its storage
underpinnings without breaking the other players that might access the
ESP, i.e. firmware, boot loaders, other dual boot OSes. If you want to
replicate the ESP, do so by synchronizing contents from userspace
maybe. But even that is unreliable, since you can't necessarily trust
mtimes there, to figure out what is newer...

I mean, my understanding is that you want to increase reliability by
having a working ESP around on multiple disks. But by doing such
off-label use stuff you just create problems for yourself that
decrease realiability.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin