Re: BitLocker (was Re: future of dual booting Windows and Fedora, redux)

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 7:15 AM Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > This is a good point to underscore. The user experience following a Fedora installation when Bitlocker is enabled, is the appearance of Windows being broken or inaccessible. We are probably better off asking Anaconda to refuse to install when Bitlocker is detected. Or at least a warning dialog.
>
> This brings up something I've wondered about... I have a Thinkpad T14
> (gen 2a) bought earlier this year.  I shrunk the pre-installed Windows
> within Windows before installing Fedora 35.  I have no real need to
> access it from Linux (only reason I didn't delete Windows is it's a work
> computer).
>
> I did poke at it though, and trying to mount it (with no FS type
> specified) returns "unknown filesystem type 'BitLocker'.".  When I boot
> into Windows, it still works fine (no issue booting).  I tried to get a
> recovery key, but Windows says it's not encrypted.

My understanding is that Windows preloads are now blank-encrypted.
That is, there's a BitLocker volume wrapping the filesystem, even with
encryption turned off. It makes encrypting the disk later
significantly easier (it doesn't have to do filesystem resizing and
reallocation games).