Re: Suggestion: Use a unified kernel image by default in the future.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 03:06:46PM -0400, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:

> >> Another case which requires creating initrds at build time.
> >
> > Yupp.
> >
> > Zbigniew and I are working on making pre-built initrds for general
> > purpose distros a reality, i.e. finding a way between keeping things
> > reasonably modular but also pre-generated, immutable, pre-measurable,
> > and thus have a tight trust chain at boot. We'll do two talks about
> > that at Linux Plumbers Conference later this year.
> >
> > Lennart
>
> I wonder if Qubes OS could use any of this work.  It seems that it
> would be incredibly useful, at least if it supported systems using
> the Xen hypervisor.

That's probably going to be useful for Qubes OS too, indeed.

It would be even better, if kernel cmdline could be pre-measured too, as
many kernel parameters may affect overall system security (like
disabling iommu). There is currently one major issue with this: finding
root filesystem. If the "initrd cmdline" could be separate from
"kernel cmdline", then one could include pre-measured safe kernel
cmdline (perhaps even hardcoded into kernel binary), while still being
able to instruct initrd where to look for the root fs. Of course, initrd
would need to be careful about parsing this piece of information
(probably having some allowlist of options allowed in this case), but
that's a huge improvement already. There were few other ideas for this
problem in this very thread too.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki