Re: Comaintainer(s) wanted for qt5-qtwebengine

Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 20/07/2022 16:50, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
>> There is a lag, but it is less than the average lag we add in Fedora.
>>
>> E.g., the security fixes from Chromium 100 were backported to
>> qtwebengine- chromium git after 1 month, and the release was tagged 2
>> weeks later.
>
> This is not about the Fedora package, but about the QtWebEngine
> upstream. They are months behind Chromium sources.

But that is exactly what I am talking about!

Chrome 100 was released 2022-03-29:
https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2022/03/stable-channel-update-for-desktop_29.html
An additional security update for it was released 2 weeks later, 2022-04-11:
https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2022/04/stable-channel-update-for-desktop_11.html

These fixes (those that are relevant to QtWebEngine to begin with – several
of the bugs affect only Chromium UI code that is *not* part of QtWebEngine)
have been backported to upstream qtwebengine-chromium.git (87-based branch,
the one used in QtWebEngine 5.15.x since 5.15.3) on 2022-05-19:
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine-chromium.git/log/?h=87-based
That is only 1 to 1½ months later.

The release has been tagged in Qt git on 2022-06-06:
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine.git/tag/?h=v5.15.10-lts
and announced on 2022-06-07:
https://www.qt.io/blog/commercial-lts-qt-5.15.10-released

That is about 2 months after the upstream Google fixes.

So your unqualified "months behind", while technically correct (because 2 is
already a plural, at least in English), makes it sound worse than it
actually is. The Fedora QtWebEngine updates actually take longer than that
to get out (and the upstream and downstream delays add up).

The reason it takes time to get security fixes out is because Qt actually
maintains stable branches, unlike Google, and backports security fixes
instead of forcing everyone to upgrade. Google, on the contrast,
deliberately withholds security fixes until a new major version reaches
stable, in order to have a levy to force people to upgrade. (The fact that
these fixes are not included in the betas, but only dropped into the stable
release, also makes the beta testing quite pointless and compromises the
stability of the stable releases.) Even a new major Qt release does not ship
with the very latest Chromium, but with a bugfixed stable version with
already some security fixes backported. (The QtWebEngine Chromium branches
are quite similar in spirit to the Firefox ESR/LTS branches.) Qt also does
not release a new version every 2 weeks – thankfully, because we are already
struggling to keep up with the releases every 2-3 months! I cannot imagine
how it would look if we had to ship an update every 2 weeks.

        Kevin Kofler