Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 9:20 PM Christian Hergert <chergert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > So it looks like what you folks are doing is actually very similar to what
> > Facebook is doing. That is interesting, and explains why some GNOME
> > developers are jumping on the bandwagon of this Change proposal.
>
> To be fair, we've been complaining about it internally in GNOME for probably around a decade. So it's not a new thing from our standpoint. What is new is that it appears others came to the similar-in-spirit solutions.

Coming at this problem from a different angle, just a hypothetical:
Would it be acceptable to add -fno-omit-frame-pointer and
-mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer to the default compiler flags on RHEL? If
the answer is yes, then I think we might talk about it for Fedora, as
well.

If the answer is no (because people from CERN would come banging at
Red Hat's doors, or something like that), then I don't think we should
do it in Fedora, either. Because I don't think we should treat Fedora
first and foremost as a development target, at the cost of making it
less appealing to actual users.
All the profiling and performance optimizations that might (or might
not be) found by developing on Fedora won't help us, if our users move
to some other distro that benefitted from those performance
optimizations, but of course didn't add those compiler flags, and
didn't make packages from their own distro perform worse to enable
this kind of work.

Fabio