Re: Python 3.11 final release might be delayed to December

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 4:16 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What do you mean by "delay further progress of the F37 release process"?

I meant: Delay the upcoming F37 tasks by a week or two.
But apparently that won't be necessary, so maybe I misunderstood the problem.

> I assume that we will know more by the end of this week or very early next. The
> options in the ticket would only matter if the release is indeed postponed.
>
> > I'd rather not make any
> > hasty actions that we could regret later, or that could cause much
> > more work for you Python guys later on, but I'd still like F37 to ship
> > with an up-to-date Python.
>
> Waiting for branching would hopefully give us more up to date information about
> upstream release plans.

So you mean:
Do nothing until just before August 9 (F37 branch date) or until an
action is in any other way forced on us, whichever is earlier?

I'm guessing I'm just confused about how this is different from any
other Python rebase - other than the fact that the RC release might
happen later.

If I understand correctly, the problem that there might be ABI changes
between 1) the beta release that the mass rebuild is run with and 2)
the final RC, is not new, because the RC is *always* released too
late, so the mass rebuild is always before the point at which the ABI
is guaranteed to be stable?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just trying to understand
before making a decision.

Fabio