Re: F37 proposal: Add -fno-omit-frame-pointer to default compilation flags (System-Wide Change proposal)

* Michael Catanzaro:

> On Wed, Jul 6 2022 at 08:06:45 AM -0600, Jeff Law
> <jeffreyalaw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> If I'm understanding things correctly, the original proposal is trying
>> to make a very special case of profiling work better -- a case that
>> 99.9% of Fedora users do not need or care about.    That seems like a
>> particularly bad cost/benefit for this proposal.
>
> But all Fedora users benefit from performance improvements implemented
> as a result of profiling.

I think we have no evidence that you could not get the same results
using Fedora's current profiling tools.  If the GNOME's sysprof does not
work with Fedora, fix it or use something else.  Do not change how
Fedora is built.  It's not really going to work anyway because typical
workloads spent 5% to 10% in glibc's string functions.  Those functions
won't have frame pointers without some non-trivial development work (and
also an ongoing maintenance cost).  If you change compiler flags only,
you still won't get accurate backtraces in many cases.

I had some interactions with Red Hat's performance teams over the years,
and to my knowledge, the lack of frame pointers has never come up.

Thanks,
Florian