Re: Suggestion: Use a unified kernel image by default in the future.

On Fr, 01.07.22 08:30, Gerd Hoffmann (kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > I do wonder if it's possible to use multiple initrds, and maybe have
> > the firmware in a separate initrd shared between all installed kernels
> > if we go down this route.
>
> grub supports multiple initrds just fine.  According to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BootLoaderSpecByDefault grub
> supports multiple initrd files also with bls.  That seems to be a
> derivation from the original boot loader spec though, so not sure this
> works with systemd-boot too.
>
> When going for multiple initrds the best approach is probably to simply
> split out the kernel modules into a version-specific initrd and store
> everything else in another, shared initrd.

In the approach Zbginiew and I are working on we intend to build a
basic initrd into the kernel itself (i.e. in a unified kernel logic)
and then optionally load additional initrd images that can be
placed next to the kernel image and are picked up by the EFI stub
(i.e. by the EFI code that runs as part of the kernel when it runs in
EFI mode still, before we transition to Linux mode, i.e. where all the
EFI file systems are still accessible), and are passed to kernel,
measured and then very early on overlayed on top of the basic initrd
image (i.e. in an immutable overlayfs stack).

In such an approach the basic initrd would be able to just boot 90% of
the systems, and for the other 10% we'd just add a couple of extension
images next to the kernel image, and that's it.

(the extension images would be signed dm-verity squashfs, to ensure
everything is authenticated)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin