Re: F37 proposal: Deprecate openssl1.1 package (System-Wide Change)

On 29. 06. 22 17:45, Dmitry Belyavskiy wrote:
Dear Miro,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 5:27 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 29. 06. 22 17:11, Dmitry Belyavskiy wrote:
     > Dear colleagues,
     >
     > If I correctly follow the discussion, the biggest show-stopper is Python
    2.*,
     > which has some incomplete patches to deal with OpenSSL 3.0.

    We would also need it in for Python 3.6 and pypys.

Are RHEL 9 patches for Python 3 series relevant in this case?

Not at all. RHEL 9 is python3.9 and that runs on OpenSSL 3 in both RHEL 9 and all supported Fedoras.

     > If we assist you in moving these patches forward, can we get rid of the
    devel
     > package and leave the compat package only for 3rd-party packages?

    Please don't remove the devel package if you aim for deprecation. As other
    have
    said, removing the devel package is essentially retirement, not deprecation.

OK, it's not a problem to deprecate the package in the sense of https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/deprecating-packages/ <https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/deprecating-packages/>
But we still want to get rid of it.

Right. But it makes sense to say:

Fedora 37: openssl1.1 is deprecated
Fedora XY: openssl1.1 is retired

Now you are mixing the two kinda together in a weird way. The change is called "deprecation" but is in fact "incomplete retirement".

See e.g.:

Deprecation: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DeprecateNose
Retirement: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RetirePython3.7

     > I don't think that the community really requires support for this
    package for 7
     > years after its upstream sunset.

    OpenSSL 3 was introduced in Fedora 36, that has *just* been released this
    year.
    This is a change proposal for Fedora 37, that is half a year after, not 7
    years :/

Well, speaking about 7 years, I mean the idea to support the compat package synchronously with RHEL 8.

Now I understand what you mean but I still don't understand what is the biggest trouble. You do maintain this in RHEL 8, don't you?

I'd like to retire this package not later than, well, a release after OpenSSL 1.1.1 EOL.

Is that happening on some known schedule or is it an event that will eventually happen but we don't know when?

--
Miro Hrončok