Re: F37 proposal: Deprecate openssl1.1 package (System-Wide Change)

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 11:15:01AM +0200, Clemens Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/OpenSSL_3.0#Providers
> >
> >Results unclear.  Loading legacy + default doesn't seem to give any
> >errors, but I still see the same errors in the tests.  I might be
> >
> >The code is here:
> >https://github.com/rwmjones/cpython/commits/python-2.7-openssl-3
>
> Two comments:
>
> Most of your failures are "no suitable signature algorithm” and “no shared
> ciphers”. I suspect those might instead be caused by increased minimum TLS
> versions enforced by the crypto-policy. Did you try running those tests in
> the LEGACY crypto-policy? If that’s the issue, you don’t need to load the
> legacy provider, and doing so doesn’t actually help.

I somehow thought that loading the legacy provider would be the same
as the LEGACY crypto policy, except just for Python 2.7 rather than
for the entire system.

Setting the whole system crypto-policy to LEGACY (and reverting the
code for loading the legacy provider) fixes almost everything.  The
remaining errors are real, but minor problems with my patch series:

ERROR: test_load_verify_cadata (test.test_ssl.ContextTests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/rjones/d/cpython-2.7/Lib/test/test_ssl.py", line 1033, in test_load_verify_cadata
    ctx.load_verify_locations(cadata=cacert_der)
SSLError: unknown error (_ssl.c:2989)

FAIL: test_openssl_version (test.test_ssl.BasicSocketTests)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/rjones/d/cpython-2.7/Lib/test/test_ssl.py", line 382, in test_openssl_version
    (s, t))
AssertionError: ('OpenSSL 3.0.3 3 May 2022', (3, 0, 0, 3, 0))

Anyhow, I'm not really working on this, but it does seem possible that
for someone who wants to fix this and cares about Python and OpenSSL
it wouldn't be too difficult to do the backport.

> I know the OpenSSL upstream documentation says so, but please don’t load the
> legacy provider into the NULL OSSL_LIB_CTX. Doing so activates the legacy
> provider for all code in the same address space by default. This means, for
> example, that applications that embed a Python interpreter will inherit its
> use of the legacy provider, even if they don’t want to. See [1] for further
> discussion of this issue, and examples on how to avoid it.
>
>  [1] https://github.com/lsh123/xmlsec/issues/339

Rich.