Re: F37 Proposal: Strong crypto settings: phase 3, forewarning 1/2 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Friday, April 29, 2022 5:49:05 PM EDT Ben Cotton wrote:
> Cryptographic policies will be tightened in Fedora 38-39,
> SHA-1 signatures will no longer be trusted by default.
> Fedora 37 specifically doesn't come with any change of defaults,
> and this Fedora Change is an advance warning filed for extra visibility.
> Test your setup with FUTURE today and file bugs so you won't get bit
> by Fedora 38-39.

[snip]

In case you want some feedback,

> Install crypto-policies-scripts package and switch to a more restrictive policy
> with either `update-crypto-policies --set FUTURE`
> or `update-crypto-policies --set TEST-FEDORA39`.
>
> Proceed to use the system as usual,
> identify the workflows which are broken by this change.

I did that and several days later I did:

    $ sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo=updates-testing
    Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'fedora':
      - Curl error (60): SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-36&arch=x86_64&countme=3 [SSL certificate problem: CA certificate key too weak]
      - Curl error (60): SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-36&arch=x86_64 [SSL certificate problem: CA certificate key too weak]
    Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'fedora': Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: Curl error (60): SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-36&arch=x86_64 [SSL certificate problem: CA certificate key too weak]

> Verify that the broken functionality works again
> if you the policy is relaxed back
> with, e.g., `update-crypto-policies --set FUTURE:SHA-1`,

This was a problem:

    $ sudo update-crypto-policies --set FUTURE:SHA-1
    Unknown policy `SHA-1`: file `SHA-1.pmod` not found in (., policies/modules, /etc/crypto-policies/policies/modules, /usr/share/crypto-policies/policies/modules)

That seems like a typo.  After looking in
/usr/share/crypto-policies/policies/modules, I tried again with:

    $ sudo update-crypto-policies --set FUTURE:SHA1
    Setting system policy to FUTURE:SHA1

But that didn't get me back.  I got the same error doing dnf upgrade.

I had to do:

    $ sudo update-crypto-policies --set DEFAULT

to get back to dnf working again.

> file bug reports against the affected components if not filed already.

I really don't know what "component" to use filing a bug.

--
Garry T. Williams