Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

Once upon a time On Tue, 2022-05-17 at 10:29 -0500, Chris Adams
wrote:(snip unrelated) ...
> In this thread it was claimed (I believe by a packager) that TCK is
> important to Java users, but I haven't seen any users say that.
>
> I'm not a Java user... I had never heard of TCK.  I just went
> searching,
> and I don't see anything right off that shows that Fedora's OpenJDK
> is
> certified in any way.  How would I even know?

Below is the link to the JCK/TCK and to be able to use the OpenJDK name
you must sign the agreement and then you get access to the JCK which is
the certification test API. Then you get to run certification tests for
every build, if I read the agreement correctly.
https://openjdk.java.net/groups/conformance/JckAccess/

If I could just add one more thing to this discussion. I would like to
point out Fedora's First foundation as applicable WRT the java
ecosystem. Do we need OpenJDK 8? I mean I would think that Latest +1 in
Rawhide, Latest and latest -1 on current Fedora Release, then latest
and latest -1 and latest -2 on the due to eol at next release Fedora.
I too use the system OpenJDK for java development, and the packaged ant
and the packaged Maven, successfully and consistently on Fedora Linux
for some years. Just yesterday I built the Netbeans IDE 13  using them
in a toolbox container on my Silverblue box.All I had to install in the
toolbox was java-17-openjdk-devel.x86_64 and ant from the Fedora Linux
repos.
I haven't had a need to use OpenJDK 8 in over two years now, and the
last time I had to do anything with OpenJDK 11 was some 8 months ago. I
don't have much Enterprise level development/support requirements so my
use cases are sot like others, but the bulk of my java development is
with OpenJDK 17 and with the packaged Fedora OpenJDK.
If I remember the IDE exodus correctly, it was driven by issue overload
on the part of upstream, in some cases I think those packaging for
Fedora didn't get the attention needed to keep successfully packaging.
I also think it was distro agnostic, meaning it happened everywhere.
Hence flatpaks and snap apps.
One more point, the reason I built Netbeans instead of using the
Flatpak version available was it works better for me as a host package.
The flatpak version has issue finding the system libraries which forces
you to copy in multiple jar libraries for one.

Thank you everyone who helps maintain the current offering of Java and
tools.

Regards,
Stephen