Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

Once upon a time, Andrew Hughes <gnu.andrew@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> The idea here is that we'd do something similar in Fedora; build on
> the oldest supported release, but provide that version on all
> supported releases.

That would also mean that the JDKs would lag any other Fedora
system-wide changes, such as compiler/library updates, build options
that affect security, etc.  I think that's a bad idea.

How would this actually be implemented at new release time?  For
example, let's say F34, F35, and rawhide were all getting a JDK built on
F34.  When F36 comes out (and then later F34 is EOLed)... how would that
work?  F35, F36, and rawhide need to be updated to a JDK built on F35...
which would mean that F36 gets released with an immediately obsolete
JDK, to be replaced with an untested (in the general sense, didn't go
through OS beta and such) build.

Or would rawhide get a build built on (oldest+1) rather than (oldest)?
So F36 would be tested and released with a build built on (but not
released for) F35, until F34 goes EOL and F35 gets updated?

This would seem to be a very confusing way of doing things.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>