Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 09:29:35AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/JdkInTreeLibsAndStdclibStatic
>
> This document represents a proposed Change. As part of the Changes
> process, proposals are publicly announced in order to receive
> community feedback. This proposal will only be implemented if approved
> by the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee.
>
> == Summary ==
> This is initial step to move JDKs to be more like other JDKs, to build
> proper transferable images, and to lower certification burden of each
> binary. Long storyshort, first step in:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs

Reading this whole doc is really key, because it is clear that
(if approved) further changes are going to follow this one in
Fedora 38. So the decision on whether to approve this first
feature really needs to consider the acceptability of the overall
plan, not just this first step in isolation.

> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:jvanek| Jiri Vanek]]
> * Email: jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> Please see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs
> for whole picture
>
> Please see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs#Move_JDKs_in_RPMs_to_become_portable
> for this particular step. I would rather keep the details  in the main
> page then here.
>
> == Feedback ==
> According to short investigations, there are already precedents, where
> certification is a reason to build once, certificate, and repack.

It would be useful to have more details about how the certification
is taking place for JDK in Fedora today, so we have a better understanding
of how it is impacting the maintainer currently. When is certification
currently done, what rules need to be followed, etc.

> According to developers, the non-portbale JDK is  causing upredicted
> behavior different from other JDK vendors

IIUC, the Java certification is intended to identify any non-compliant
behaviour between JDK builds. Is this statement indicating that Fedora
builds are not passing the certification, or that we're introducing
regressions into JDK after the certification is done (eg through later
3rd party RPM updates), or is the breadth of JDK cert coverage simply
insufficient to detect enough problems upfront ?

> According to JDK packagers and testers, there is to much JDKs now, and
> the https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs#Move_Fedora_JDKs_to_become_single-built.2C_portable.2C_ordinary_JDKs.2C_while_keeping_comfortable.2C_usual_system_integration
>  is the only way out

According to the doc we currently have jdk8, jdk11, jdk17 and jdk18,
across 3 Fedora releases (35, 36, 37-rawhde). So 12 build streams
effectively. IIUC, it is implied that when a new JDK comes out (jdk19
next), it would be added immediately to all Fedora streams (35, 36,
37rawhide).

If separate builds for done for each release, it sounds like it is
meaning JDK certification is needed for each release separate. So
a new jdk19 would need certifying separately for (35, 36, 37-rawhide)

One way to reduce this burden is to not introduce new JDKs to all
existing Fedora streams, only add it to rawhide so certification is
only needed once.

Having said that I'm still not clear on the real impact of the
certification. Presumably thue certification is not re-done in each
JDK RPM re-build, nor on every RPM re-build of a library it depends
on.  If so, then do we really need to do certification for every
Fedora release stream when adding a new JDK. Can we do a build for
35, certify it, and then do what is effectively no-change import
and rebuild for 36/37-rawhide and just consider the 35-certification
to cover those streams.

With regards,
Daniel