Re: Change proposal: make Change proposals more obvious

On Fri, 2022-04-29 at 08:57 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 6:01 PM Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe spend two more letters and write "Proposal" instead of "Change"?
>
> That makes sense. "Change", in this usage, is a proper noun, so while
> all proposals are changes, not all proposals are Changes. But given
> the context (and the fact that "Change") ends up in the subject later
> on, I don't think it matters.
>
> I'll start doing this with the next Changes I announce. Conveniently,
> there are some in the queue already. I have already modified the
> proposal template to include a "this is just a proposal. calm
> yourselves" banner and updated my own documentation to include that
> text in each announcement. We'll see how often my muscle memory
> forgets to do it. :-)

I was actually hoping it'd be possible to do clever wiki tricks for the
banner - I thought it might be possible to have a blob that shows the
banner if the page is in the "proposed Changes" category, or shows the
banner unless the page is in an "accepted Changes" category.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we have the bits in the wiki to do this.
It's *possible* we could use `#pos` from StringFunctions if we have
that turned on -
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:ParserFunctions##pos -
but only if there's a way to feed #pos the text of the *current page*
as an input, which I'm not sure is possible.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA