Re: BIOS boot - an alternative approach

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 11:26 AM Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not a Fedora developer, just a long time interested user, so take
> this for what it's worth.  I'd like to suggest an alternative approach
> to the BIOS boot (and potentially other similar boot issues), or at
> least suggest that this approach be discussed.
>
> Basically, I suggest that Fedora stop worrying about BIOS boot or other
> "weird" boot configurations.  Instead, provide a truly manual
> installation path where all boot and storage configuration is the
> responsibility of the user.
>
> This would include:
>
> * Installing and configuring the boot loader.
>
> * Updating the boot loader configuration when new kernels are installed
>    (although anyone who desires should obviously be free to contribute
>    packages that automate this for particular boot loaders).
>
> * All storage configuration - creating partitions, RAID devices, logical
>    volumes, etc.  (I.e. the Fedora wouldn't perform any sort of discovery
>    of storage devices; the user would be responsible for selecting
>    devices that already exist in /proc/partitions.)
>
> * Booting *something* that can run the Fedora installer.
>
> AFAIK, it's still possible to skip boot loader installation during
> Fedora installation, and the live media installation path exists, so I
> believe that the main work here would be to package the installer and
> its associated runtimes, libraries, etc. into some sort of self-
> contained package that is as independent as possible from the OS on
> which it is running.
>
> Not only would this provide a path for BIOS boot, and similar issues,
> but it would also support other complex configurations.  (I can't even
> count the number of Anaconda crashes I had back in the day with LVM on
> MD-RAID.)
>
> As I said, I'm not a Fedora developer, but I see this approach as
> potentially eliminating a lot of work and increasing Fedora's
> "flexibility" over the long term.
>
> OK, now tear this apart.  :-)

Setting up boot stuff correctly for the myriad of configurations is an
area where Fedora provides significant value, so it only sounds good
to do this if we expect people to be able to manually do this. The
majority of people will not be capable of doing this properly, even
many advanced users won't be able to.

If you want to have an Arch-like installation process, the live media
does provide a way to do this in the form of all the partitioning
tools and DNF being available on the media. We don't provide an
Arch/Gentoo-style "minimal" media that people can use to run these
things, but pretty much any live media can be used for this purpose.

And frankly, I don't want to support some complex boot configurations
at a Fedora distribution level, such as /boot on LVM+LUKS. If someone
wants to set that up, fine, but it has enough pitfalls that it's not
worth broadly supporting.

Any "manual" installation process comes with the important caveat of
"we can't test it, so we can't support it" for whatever definition of
support you'd like to apply. :)