Re: F37 Change: RPM 4.18 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 4/8/22 14:17, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 6:34 AM Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/8/22 12:16, Petr Pisar wrote:
V Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 12:13:42PM -0400, Ben Cotton napsal(a):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RPM-4.18

== Summary ==
Update RPM to the [https://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.18.0 4.18] release.
[...]
* New `%conf` spec section for build configuration

RPM documenation reads:

       In %conf, the unpacked sources are configured for building.

       Different build- and language ecosystems come with their own helper macros,
       but rpm has helpers for autotools based builds such as itself which
       typically look like this:

       %conf
       %configure

In context of autotools, sources usually bundle a configure script. To follow
the open source way (and ensure portability to new platform and include
autotools fixes), building from the real sources is desired. Hence I do my
best to call "autoreconf -fi" before %configure.

Where should autoreconf be placed? %pre or %conf?

      %prep               %prep
      %autosetup          %autosetup
                          autoreconf -fi

      %conf               %conf
      autoreconf -fi      %configure
      %configure

      %build              %build
      %make_build         %make_build

Please bear in mind that %prep usually contains other non-declarative twists
like pruning bundled code, correcting file permissions etc.

My personal opinion is that autoreconf, where used, belongs to %prep
because it can quite literally install bits required by the build system.

It's also something you only run once after unpacking the sources, not
every time you configure. Which suggests that they should be in
different sections. The same logic is applicable to other related steps.

I would disagree and suggest it go into %conf. My reasoning for this
is that autoreconf + configure is combined for most other build
systems and we want those to run in %conf, so consistency beckons that
we do the same here. It also ensures we don't need anything more than
tarball unpacking and patching dependencies for %prep.

I used "personal opinion" very much on purpose, as there would be as many opinions on this as there are observers. My opinion is biased towards what makes sense from a staged rpmbuild POV, for a --rebuild end result all of this is academic.

	- Panu -