Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 11:14 AM Brian C. Lane <bcl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The reason I wrote the PR was because, as I understand it, syslinux is
> going away soon. It was an easy patch to write, and I find it easier to
> discuss things when there is code present (or absent as in this case).
>
> My *personal* opinion is we should not drop BIOS. I think BIOS will
> continue to haunt use for the forseeable future, there is just too much
> existing hardware that still works. But if the tools used to make it
> work aren't present I have to remove them.
>
> So like I said yesterday, I'll look into switching to use grub2 for
> Fedora 37, assuming grub2 continues to support BIOS.

If switching from syslinux to GRUB isn't onerous, it's essentially an
invisible change, i.e. new installations to BIOS systems is still
possible. But also, it would give some breathing room to evaluate BIOS
GRUB as a going-concern, versus clover. If we're looking at something
like 2-3 years of BIOS support, that might favor sticking it out with
BIOS GRUB. If it's much longer, that might favor using a UEFI emulator
on BIOS systems to bring them forward.

What about all the MBR handling in the installer? The change proposal
doesn't mention it. But if the ability to install to BIOS systems were
to go away, that would presumably take MBR with it. So I'm wondering
if it's viable to use BIOS GRUB instead of syslinux, should inst.gpt
become the default? And then would inst.mbr go away? Or would it stick
around for another cycle or two as a manual fallback? Or is it simple
and static enough that it'll persist for a long time without rotting?

Hindsight being 20/20 I kinda wonder if we should have just bit the
bullet on inst.gpt, because at least inst.mbr has been available this
whole time.

--
Chris Murphy