Re: F37 Change: Legacy Xorg Driver Removal (System-Wide Change proposal)

Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:ajax|Adam Jackson]]
> * Email: ajax@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> == Detailed Description ==
>
> Fedora's primary desktop environments are moving away from being X11
> sessions, to being Wayland servers in their own right. This transition
> is incomplete, and the Xorg server is still potentially used in a
> variety of "fallback" situations. In particular the `vesa` and `fbdev`
> drivers can find themselves pressed into use when accelerated graphics
> is unavailable. Both of these drivers are somewhat deprecated
> upstream, and the code to reach them is increasingly fragile as it
> gets exercised less and less.
>
> This change will identify the remaining configurations that can reach
> these drivers, establish an alternative for display support for each
> configuration, and then remove the drivers and their support code in
> xserver.

Removing the fallback drivers that (almost) always work strikes me as an
extraordinarily bad idea. It will knowingly desupport any graphics hardware
not covered by the main drivers and it may turn out to unknowingly desupport
even more hardware, where the hardware-specific drivers that should work
actually do not. It also means that there will be no workaround at all if
the native driver is temporarily broken on the given hardware for whatever
reason. Hence, I am strongly opposed to this change.

        Kevin Kofler