Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 12:19:40PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Tuesday, 05 April 2022 at 16:52, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DeprecateLegacyBIOS
> >
> > == Summary ==
> > Make UEFI a hardware requirement for new Fedora installations on
> > platforms that support it (x86_64).  Legacy BIOS support is not
> > removed, but new non-UEFI installation is not supported on those
> > platforms.  This is a first step toward eventually removing legacy
> > BIOS support entirely.
>
> How is making new installs (and thus re-installs) not removing support
> entirely? The summary is misleading.

It also opens up the question how we'll go QA bios support when you
can't install F37 in bios mode.

IMHO we should either drop support for BIOS, or continue full support
for BIOS (including installs).  Claiming BIOS still being supported
while you can't install the system in BIOS mode is bullshit IMHO.

I fully expect we will actually drop BIOS support at some point, the
world is clearly shifting towards UEFI.  Targeting F37 feels a bit
over-eager though.

take care,
  Gerd