Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This is not a deprecation change, this is effectively a removal
> change. By removing the packages and the tooling support for legacy
> BIOS, it makes several scenarios (including recovery) harder.
> Moreover, it puts the burden on people to figure out if their hardware
> can boot and install Fedora when we clearly haven't reached a critical
> mass yet for doing so, like we did when we finally removed the i686
> kernel build.

I've stated in the change that the intent is to eventually remove legacy
entirely - so there's no sleight of hand here.  The rest is a semantic
issue which I don't care to argue.

> 2. The packages are locked down so there is no way for the community to help

I've replied to this when you said it before, but no, this is
misinformation, and I'd appreciate if you stop spreading it.

Bootloader packages are available for PRs, same as every other package
in the distro.  Our bugzilla issues are as open as any other package in
the distro.

Quite simply, being able to make official builds isn't a requirement to
help with any package in the distro, bootloader or otherwise.  And to
peek behind the curtain a bit, running `fedpkg build` is not even close
to the hardest or most time-consuming part of working on bootloader
packages.

> 3. At various times, people have explicitly said "patches NOT welcome"

I see no evidence of this having happened, and it's definitely not
something I've said.

Be well,
--Robbie