Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 8:54 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fedora already requires a 2GHz dual core CPU at minimum (and therefore
> mandates that machines must have been made after 2006).

Where do we require this? I see only one location for such minimums:

https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/

* Fedora requires a minimum of 20GB disk, 2GB RAM, to install and run
successfully. Double those amounts is recommended.

Should this be modified to better communicate the actual minimums? I
like the idea of making this less ambiguous: e.g. CPU release date 4th
quarter 2006 or later; or a list of CPU features?

> * Drawing a clear year cutoff, let alone a detailed list of hardware
> this change affects, is basically impossible.  This is unfortunate but
> unlikely to ever change.

OK I'm confused now.

> * There is no migration story from Legacy BIOS to UEFI -
> repartitioning effectively mandates a reinstall.  As a result, we
> don’t drop support for existing Legacy BIOS systems yet, just new
> installations.

OK let's set aside the case of native UEFI with CSM enabled legacy
BIOS. That's plainly (a) change the settings, and (b) reinstall.

But this leaves out native BIOS systems entirely, for new
installations. How is this not removing BIOS support entirely if users
can only do upgrades, but not clean installs on BIOS systems?

I think an intermediate step is necessary. One possible idea is to
stop creating hybrid ISO images. Instead make separate GPT only images
for non-optical (typically USB stick) booting, and consider one or
more images for the optical boot case using strictly conforming ISO
9660 or UDF? Again stop making universal media with all the weird (but
awesome) hacks, and multiple bootloaders.

Fedora Cloud edition's base images now have GPT partition scheme
(only) with both BIOS and UEFI bootloaders and partitions. We can
create spec compliant (no funny business) images, reducing the overall
complexity as an intermediate step before fully dropping BIOS. Instead
of using ISOLINUX as the BIOS bootloader, just use GRUB for both, just
as Cloud edition is today.

--
Chris Murphy