Re: F37 Change: Curl-minimal as default (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 7:50 AM Kamil Dudka <kdudka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 16, 2022 10:01:10 AM CET Paul Howarth wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 12:00:06 -0500
> > Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/CurlMinimal_as_Default
> > >
> > > == Summary ==
> > > `libcurl-minimal` and `curl-minimal` will be installed by default
> > > instead of `libcurl` and `curl`.
> > > The "minimal" variants provide only a subset of protocols (HTTP,
> > > HTTPS, FTP). The full versions can be explicitly requested as
> > > `libcurl-full` and `curl-full`.
> >

> > Upstream's thoughts:
> > https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2022/03/16/fedora-and-curl-minimal/
> >
> > Paul.
>
> For completeness, here is a pull request by Miro Hrončok to change the
> packaging of curl to something that FESCO would like to have for the
> proposed Fedora change to be accepted:
>
>     https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/curl/pull-request/14
>
> Advantages:
> - libcurl-full can be automatically installed as a dependency in a dnf
> transaction without the need to use `--allowerasing` or `dnf swap`.
>
> Disadvantages:
> - It is incompatible with the current packaging used since RHEL-8.
> - It allows to install both libcurl-minimal and libcurl-full together.
> - It relies on complex RPM scriptlets to manipulate symlinks, which
> may misbehave in some corner cases, resulting in broken dnf stack.

Can we just not do this at all? It seems even upstream is unhappy with
the proposal too. And frankly, if we do this, I will adjust *at least*
Fedora KDE to ship full curl because it's impossible for me to figure
out who will be broken by defaulting to minimal. I would also make the
same recommendation to Workstation and other desktop variants.

I'm very sensitive to people considering Fedora as "broken by
default", especially as we're trying to bring new folks into Fedora.
And having *less* protocols than macOS and Windows curl by default is
very obviously a problem. We had that problem with OpenSSL for
*years*, but at least we had the whole "crypto software patents" thing
as a defense.

This has no real defense.