Re: Landing a larger-than-release change (distrusting SHA-1 signatures)

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 8:52 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 07:40:15PM +0100, Alexander Sosedkin wrote:
> > the only realistic way to weed out its reliance on SHA-1 signatures
> > from all of its numerous dark corners is to break them.
> > Make creation and verification fail in default configuration.
>
> That sounds like a terrible plan. We should make newer hashes
> the default, and we can make tools print a warning if sha1 is used
> where it shouldn't,

Yeah, that'd never gonna work.
Cryptographic libraries aren't in position to do any meaningful logging,
and even if they did, it'd be gleefully ignored until we break things.

> but please don't break things on purpose.

If you manage to come out with the way
we can move forward to this century crypto
that doesn't involve breaking things on purpose,
definitely share one with us, you'd be our saviour. =(

Yes, backwards compatibility is very important.
Yes, you can still make a modern Fedora do RC4 or DES,
with just a little bit of extra configuration.
No, we must phase things out of defaults, there's no way around this.