Re: F37 Change: Encourage Dropping Unused / Leaf Packages on i686 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On 07. 03. 22 19:30, Fabio Valentini wrote:
On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 7:22 PM Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Once upon a time, Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
== Summary ==

Package maintainers are encouraged to actively stop building their
packages for i686, especially if supporting this architecture requires
significant investment of time or resources, for no benefit. This will
not apply to packages which are still depended on by other i686
packages, or which get used in a "multilib" context (i.e. for running
32-bit applications on x86_64).

It's unclear what this actually means for packagers.  Should
ExcludeArch: lines be added to spec files?

Ah, yes, thanks for catching that. This was indeed my intention:
Packagers add "ExcludeArch: %{ix86}" to the package in question, if it
is safe to do so (unused / leaf packages only).
I forgot to add that detail to the proposal, will add it now.

As far as I can tell, any approach more sophisticated than that (like
automatically determining the i686 packages we *need*) would require
significantly more work, and probably be more error-prone, introduce
more friction, and make it harder to revert errors.

This begs several questions that would probably need to be clarified e.g. in the packaging guidelines. For example:

------

I am adding a brand new package to multiple Fedora releases. The package is not noarch. It successfully builds on i686. What am I supposed to do?

 a) build it on i686, until it fails there
 b) excludearch %ix86 right away not to create a dead dep tree
 c) excludearch %ix86 on F37+ only, as this is a F37 change

-------

I am updating a package that no longer builds on i686. How do I know if I can exclude it safely? What checks do I run? Am I allowed to push this update to stable Fedora releases?

-------

My package is noarch but has multiple arched dependencies. How do I properly make Koji not attempt to build it on i686?

--
Miro Hrončok