Re: Packaging guidelines: gettext vs. gettext-devel

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 3:26 PM Ken Gaillot <kgaillot@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about the guidelines for "Handling Locale Files":
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_handling_locale_files
>
> The guidelines state, "If the package uses gettext for translations,
> add BuildRequires: gettext".
>
> gettext-devel seems the more logical dependency, since it has the
> autoconf macros. And of course the guidelines for "Devel Packages"
> state "-devel packages must be used to contain files which are intended
> solely for development or needed only at build-time."

gettext is a tool that happens to be used in development, but that is
not the same as being a "Devel Package". It is much the same as gcc or
clang, which we don't have people install gcc-devel and clang-devel
for.
gettext-devel is for development _against_ gettext, which is not the
same as using it.

For a properly released autotools-based project, the gettext autoconf
macros are not necessary as the tarball should have been generated
with configure.ac expanded into configure.

> Both gettext and gettext-devel depend on gettext-libs, which might make
> the issue unnoticeable for packages don't use autotools.
>
> Would "gettext" or "gettext-devel" be more correct for BuildRequires?

In short, gettext is, unless you have special requirements.

> --
> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot@xxxxxxxxxx>

--
Elliott