Re: Why I get some random notifications from discourse?

Kevin Kofler via devel kirjoitti 3.3.2022 klo 0.48:
Matthew Miller wrote:
I put #introductions in the default for "watching first post" because ...
I think seeing and welcoming new people joining our community is a good
default.

Frankly, I think most existing maintainers will not be interested in all
those self-introductions. If the new maintainer ends up working on the same
set of packages, they will get to know each other soon enough anyway,
otherwise, the interest will obviously be limited.

So I am not convinced that this is a valid reason for sending a notification
e-mail by default.

Fedora Discussion is not only for maintainers, it is for all kinds of discussion about Fedora. Package maintainers are probably not even the primary audience, because devel mailing list is so well established.

Personally, I do not have anything against a setting up some notifications on first login. Having Introductions as one of them also seems reasonable to me.

However, if Vít and others already had a Discussion account and had all notifications, I do understand that it is irritating and confusing to suddenly start getting notifications. User preferences should be honored.

Regarding notifying about this change, it was actually announced at devel-announce [1]. But, the announcement is long and it is not clear, if mentioned at all, that the notification settings of existing users will be adjusted.

[1]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/ONAWFCLHQ2N6HMNU7CEIQKQYNVGRXT2A/

Otto