Re: CPU does not support x86-64-v2?

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 11:41:58AM -0600, Ron Olson wrote:
> Hey all-
>
> I’m trying to build my packages for EPEL-9 on my up-to-date F35
> machine using Mock. I checked /etc/mock but can’t find any specific
> epel-9 config so I went with centos-stream+epel-next-9. Okay, fine,
> but when I run the job, it fails immediately with the error “Fatal
> glibc error: CPU does not support x86-64-v2”. The machine is a VM
> under ESXi with the following cpu info:

RHEL-9 (and thus EPEL / CentOS) set a new x86_64 baseline

  https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2021/01/05/building-red-hat-enterprise-linux-9-for-the-x86-64-v2-microarchitecture-level

These CPU uarch baselines are defined in

  https://gitlab.com/x86-psABIs/x86-64-ABI/-/blob/master/x86-64-ABI/low-level-sys-info.tex

> Architecture:            x86_64
>   CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
>   Address sizes:         42 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
>   Byte Order:            Little Endian
> CPU(s):                  8
>   On-line CPU(s) list:   0-7
> Vendor ID:               GenuineIntel
>   Model name:            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz

According to

  https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/30796/intel-xeon-processor-x7350-8m-cache-2-93-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb.html

This is  "Products formerly Tigerton"  which is one of the oldest
64bit Xeon generations.

Notably it pre-dates the Nehalem generation, which is what the
x86_64-v2 uarch baseline corresponds to.

>     CPU family:          6
>     Model:               15
>     Thread(s) per core:  1
>     Core(s) per socket:  4
>     Socket(s):           2
>     Stepping:            11
>     BogoMIPS:            5851.73
>     Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx lm constant_t
>                          sc arch_perfmon pebs bts nopl tsc_reliable nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni ssse3 cx16 x2apic tsc_deadline_timer h
>                          ypervisor lahf_lm pti tsc_adjust dtherm

This is missing at least sse4_1, sse4_2, popcnt

> I guess there was some CPU requirement change that I didn’t catch;
> is this going to make creating Fedora-based VMs difficult going
> forward? I don’t have the money to upgrade my equipment. :(

Note, the change in CPU uarch baseline only affects RHEL/CentOS/EPEL,
not Fedora yet. Though I imagine Fedora might follow at some point,
there's no current proposal for Fedora to change.

So for now at least, your use of Fedora shouldn't be impacted, only
RHEL-9 family.

With regards,
Daniel