Re: CPU does not support x86-64-v2?

* Ron Olson:

> I’m trying to build my packages for EPEL-9 on my up-to-date F35
> machine using Mock. I checked /etc/mock but can’t find any specific
> epel-9 config so I went with centos-stream+epel-next-9. Okay, fine,
> but when I run the job, it fails immediately with the error “Fatal
> glibc error: CPU does not support x86-64-v2”. The machine is a VM
> under ESXi with the following cpu info:

We encountered this before.  I believe Vmware has documentation out
addressing this.  Apparently there is a feature called “EVC” that can be
configured at the Core 2 (Merom) CPU level.  You need to switch to the
Nehalem level at least.  Maybe this document is of help:

  VMware EVC and CPU Compatibility FAQ (1005764)
  <https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1005764>

Part of the reason of doing this is to flush out misconfigurations like
this.

Changing the hypervisor will also benefit older distributions which can
then start to use optimized string and math functions, particularly if
you move to something that approaches host pass-through (which should
probably be the default anyway unless migration is explicitly enabled).

> I guess there was some CPU requirement change that I didn’t catch; is
> this going to make creating Fedora-based VMs difficult going forward?
> I don’t have the money to upgrade my equipment. :(

Fedora doesn't require this yet.

Thanks,
Florian